Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble. - Proverbs 21:23 (NLT)
"I didn't mean to let it slip. And I only told one person. Really, it's not that big of a deal, is it? I mean, if she didn't want anyone to know, why did she tell me?"
"I didn't mean it really. I ws just gabbing with some friends and we talking about another friend. What I said about her was true...at least, a little bit. The truth hurts sometimes."
I was recently leaving a gathering of women and briefly overheard a conversation of three women making some plans for the following weekend. The conversation took a turn from "who would be there" to "so-and-so, who probably wouldn't be there, but that's just typical because she....." You get the idea.
I've said my share of hurtful things to and about other women in the past, and I've been hurt by what others have said about me. Why do we women do that to each other? Isn't there enough hurt in the world without us talking about each other? We rationalize it and sometimes even enjoy the feeling of having juicy information or being "in the know"! Whether or not we'll openly admit it, we like the power. Or, we're so insecure ourselves, we somehow twist our thinking into believing if we tear others down, we build ourselves up.
Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut. Try that this week. Place 15 pennies in your left pocket when you get dressed each morning. Each time you hold your tongue, move one penny from your left pocket to your right pocket. When you say something hurtful or judgmental or you share confidential information or gossip, move 5 pennies from your right pocket to your left.
Where are your pennies at the end of each day?
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment