
According to
cnn.com, size 14 is the new 10 (
http://tinyurl.com/kv2vhc). The article reports clothing lines have gradually
resized clothing to help us feel better about ourselves. So a woman who wears a true size 14 (whatever that is!) can take home size 10 clothes and feel good. If we feel better about ourselves as we're shopping, we'll likely buy more, right? (see Size Matters,
http://tinyurl.com/kjvudx)
When we go out to eat, we want the choice to super size our meals. Seriously, how often do we need our meal super-sized? When my friend Wendy visited from Australia last year, she and her daughter were taken aback by serving portions here in the U.S. They soon adjusted to requesting appetizers instead of entrees.
In today's economy, wouldn't we be better off to minimize portions and lower our meal costs? Our wallets would be a little fatter, and our waistlines a little thinner. We'd go into a restaurant (or open the refrigerator) and get what we need. And we'd go into a clothing store and get what fits.
This isn't an issue of clothing size or serving portions or economics. It's about self-centeredness. We want the control to choose what we eat, how much we eat, what we wear, and even how we feel about ourselves. We super size our meals and deny our super-sizes. We think choices will bring us content...but the fallout of our choices breeds discontent.
What are you discontent with? Be real with yourself. Employment? Weight? Relationships? Past? Finances?
Now it's time for a reality check. Who is responsible for your discontentedness?
Study the following verses and listen to God.
Don’t point your finger at someone else and try to pass the blame! - Hosea 4:4
This is what the Lord says:“Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord. - Jeremiah 17:5
I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. - Philippians 3:9
Is God changing your perspective?
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. - Philippians 4:11-12 (NLT)
Thank you, Susan, for stepping on my toes! I needed to hear this. So many times I rely on acceptance from others, society, etc. for my self-confidence/self-worth/etc. However, I must constantly remind myself to search for significance in Christ, His love and His grace! It is there that contentment is found!
ReplyDeleteWhile I can't say I meant to step on your toes (just sharing my own bruised toes!), I'm also okay with spurring another on toward good deeds and faithfulness! It's so difficult to be content in a society in which we're constantly told why we shouldn't be content. But as you said, our contentment is in Christ, not in this world. Glad we have each other to remind us of God's grace, goodness, and all-knowing will!
ReplyDelete