Thanksgiving week is different for me this year. I typically mail Christmas cards the day before Thanksgiving, so they're in mailboxes within a few days to kick off the Christmas season. Start the celebration! Share the joy! Many years I've hand made my cards, spending hours cutting, stamping, coloring, and assembling. I've enjoyed it. But as I was working on my cards last year, thinking about the people on my mailing list and the amount of money and time I was spending alone at my dining room table, I resolved to take a different approach in 2009.This year I'm spending the time and money investing in individual relationships. Of course, I won't be able to connect with everyone on my list, but I'm letting God lead me to whom he wants me to contact. I'm inviting women to lunch over the next month, so I can spend one-on-one time, sharing my life and letting them share theirs. Giving us both an opportunity to connect face-to-face, a diminishing occasion with social networking and the pressures of everyday living.
My dining room table won't be as messy, but I know my calendar will be. I can't connect with as many people, but I can connect with a few on a deeper level. I'm not going to save time or money, but I'll invest in relationships. I might need to work out a little more to balance the extra calories, but I get an opportunity to be disciplined.
It's about perspective. What does God have planned for you in the coming month? I challenge you to take a fresh approach. Write down something you do this time of the year "just because." Or something that stresses you. Let God show you his perspective. He'll challenge you to tackle something head on...only with his help this year. Or he'll change the way you approach something, like letting go of Christmas cards and connecting in a different way.
Don't just talk about serving...do it. Don't just talk about connecting...do it. Don't just talk about sacrificing...do it. Step out of your comfort zone...and into God's.
The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.I will advise you and watch over you." - Psalm 32:8 (NLT)
So we will expect a personal vist from the Lawrence family instead of the obligatory Christmas card which we usually get the DAY AFTER Thanksgiving. A personal visit will be fine as long as you all wear matching Christmas attire.
ReplyDeleteDawn - How inspiring. You're going to motivate me to continue to connect with people, knowing you're looking at the reminder on your frig :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd Doug - Seriously, we would love to come visit. We MUST get something on the calendar. Courtney has Speech contests every Saturday, but let's look at weeks in Jan/Feb when there's a Monday holiday? Hope your family is feeling better. So sorry you couldn't make it to OK :-(
This is exactly what's been on my mind this year too!
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Sue Cramer (a FB friend!)