I was asked to participate in a church discipleship program as a "trainer" (mentor). The ministry staff scheduled an informational meeting to give us an overview before we committed. I sat next to a woman who is a generation ahead of me and has been my "trainer" through many circumstances.She's attended many small group studies I've led and enhanced discussions, clarified my explanations, and corrected my misinterpretations.
She's challenged me to grow spiritually, never allowing me to settle for the easy path but coaxing me down the path that leads me closer to God.
She's seen me at my worst: face-to-face in the pit of my sin, even in denial about it, tears of frustration, agony and desperation.
She's loved me...like Jesus.She's accepted me...like Jesus.
She's challenged me...like Jesus.
And here I was, sitting by her side as we both considered training others.
I could have been intimidated, thinking I'm unworthy to train others as she trains me. I could have felt ill-equipped and fearful.
My reaction surprised me. I felt honored.
Honored that God would use me to reflect Jesus in the same ways this woman has reflected Jesus.
Honored this woman would not question my ability but instead sit by my side with an encouraging smile. She would never assume any responsibility for my spiritual growth, and her humility further reflects Jesus to me.
I encourage and equip women every day in my work and ministry. I pour into the lives of women, listening to their hurts and thrilling in their joys. I love the opportunities God gives me to disciple others.
But as I sat in the meeting, I was overwhelmed in the opportunity God gives me to be discipled. I am determined to glorify God in all relationships...whether I am discipling or being discipled.
Who are you discipling? Who is discipling you? Embrace the relationships God has given you.
God disciplines us to help us, so we can become holy as he is. We do not enjoy being disciplined. It is painful at the time, but later, after we have learned from it, we have peace, because we start living in the right way. - Hebrews 12:10b-11
No comments:
Post a Comment