I sat in the Viestenz-Smith park near Loveland, Colorado, on a narrow stretch of land between two waters. On one side was the rushing Big Thompson River. On the other, a calm pool. The water all came from the same source - travelling from high in the Rocky Mountains - but the experience was different.
Both were beautiful, one in its glassy serenity, the other in its rough fluidity. One showed little variety in color except the shadows from surrounding trees and faint outlines of deeply-bedded rocks. The other was peppered with colors, from the jutting rocks to the foaming water created by them. Many stones and pebbles shone from the river bed. The water glistened in hues of green and brown, reflecting the surrounding environment.
We often seek peace and serenity, but I noticed, even in its beauty, I couldn't see as deeply into the calm pool. The edges of the water were littered with vines and moss-covered rocks, and the rocks climbing the edges of land were soaking in algae.
The moving water was clearer. I saw no stagnancy. Rapids are powerful and more difficult to walk through, but the rapids swept away impurities and smoothed the jagged edges of rocks. Foaming waters indicate a change under the water - rocks or change in depth - and serve as a warning. Moving water is diverse, creating contrast between quickly and slowly flowing water.
Do you prefer calm or rushing waters in your life? Why?
I want to make a difference for Jesus. I want to ride the rapids, conquering challenges and fears in God's name. I want to fully rely on God so that my life reflects his power.
As I round the next bend down the mountainside, will I ask for peace and serenity...or boldness, presence and provision? What about you?
This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him. Therefore I ask you not to lose heart at my tribulations on your behalf, for they are your glory. Ephesians 3:11-13 (NASB)
Great thought-starter. This is not a topic you can just answer, but really do some soul searching on. Sometimes you really need those calm, not so deep spots to just get still and regroup. Sort of a breather after the rapids. I agree that you can't stagnate though. You should never stop moving, but the speed at which you are going, that is something to constantly be considering.
ReplyDelete