Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dust

I shook out the folds of my robe and said, “If you fail to keep your promise, may God shake you like this from your homes and from your property!” The whole assembly responded, “Amen,” and they praised the Lord. And the people did as they had promised. - Nehemiah 5:13 (NLT)

I started Spring cleaning this weekend. I usually spread it over a month or more, tackling one area of the house at a time until I reach all forgotten corners...just in time the realize the first areas I cleaned need to be cleaned again. The amount of dust that accumulates in remote corners of my house baffles me!

I keep my house fairly clean, so I'm always surprised when I start deep cleaning and see how much dirt and "stuff" have accumulated. After all, I'm an organized person. How does this happen?! Certain things go in specified drawers, closets, cabinets. My family does a great job of picking up after themselves. So the fact that I suddenly find something I thought I'd lost catches me off guard. As I sort through a closet or drawer, I go through those items I've accumulated during the past year...and then I reach the organized section, where I finished the year before.

Hhmm...I wonder how many times that happens in my life. I've made a commitment or promise, and it seems neat and tidy, "do-able" to stick with. I'm sure I'll follow through. And I do well for awhile. But then, little by little, my attention wanes, and the dust settles. The mess grows. The organization is hidden.

How many times do you just "give up" because it looks too messy? Yes, I'm asking about your closets and drawers, but I'm also talking about the commitments you've made. You feel guilty for not following through, or you've let such a mess pile up, you don't even remember you were supposed to follow through!

But the foundation is still there. You can regularly sweep away the settled dust and the pile of unorganized items and get to the foundation of organization you've already put in place.

Look at your index fingerprint. Study the details. Now find a dusty place in your house (surely you have at least one!). Wipe the dust with your index finger. Then look at your finger and reflect how different it looks covered with dust.

Wash the dust from your fingertip. Has your fingertip changed?

In Matthew 10:14, Jesus uses the expression "shake its dust from your feet, " which is the same as shaking the "folds of my robe" in Nehemiah. Straighten up and clean up, Girlfriend! It's time to get back to the basics.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Susan, I just have one question-- "Will you come and spring clean my house?" That's good. I have found that there is a direct corelation with the "state of my house" and my emotional and spiritual state of mind. When my house is clean, I'm walking like I should. When my housework starts to slide and things start to slide, I need to "get back to the basics". I'm having "issues" somewhere. It's time to "Be still and know that I'm God."

    Take care and-- Keep cleaning!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! As long as we can spend some pampering time together afterward! Except...I wonder if your emotional/spiritual state of mind is impacted differently if SOMEONE ELSE cleans your house!

    Love ya!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete