On the way to the pumpkin patch today, my 15-year-old daughter shared her memories of searching for pumpkins when she was little. What she remembers the most is not being able to pick out a large pumpkin. I don't remember her sharing discontent at the time, but apparently she didn't like my pumpkin-picking rule: You must choose a pumpkin you can carry. I let my mom fuss alongside Courtney for a few minutes about my "silly" rule before I decided to explain myself. You see, in my opinion, it's never too early to learn we have limits to what we can carry on our own...and we need to recognize our limits.
I doubt I thought through my rule much at the time, but as I meandered through the pumpkin patch this afternoon, I started thinking....
(1) We live in such a me-centered society, and we're taught from an early age that we should be independent. We're supposed to look out for ourselves, because "no one else will." Asking for help is often seen as a weakness.
That's what our culture says, but life here on earth is skewed: So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last. - Matthew 20:16
We need to know when to ask for help...from God, family, friends, neighbors, or sometimes even a stranger.
(2) Limits help us. Boundaries give us safety in our freedom and establish expectations.
We will not boast about things done outside our area of authority. We will boast only about what has happened within the boundaries of the work God has given us, which includes our working with you. - 2 Corinthians 10:13
(3) God wants to help us. He'll challenge us to grow through our experiences and relationships. He'll always share our burden when we rely on him, but he gives us the choice to share our burdens or stress ourselves. And as we rely on him, our strength and faith grows.
For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light. - Matthew 11:30
Courtney chose her pumpkin (after trying to lift the biggest one she found), based on the same rule I had over a decade ago. Her muscles were stronger...and she got some extra help: a wagon!
Love this Susan......God is most certainly teaching me I need help with my Pumpkin.Thank you for sharing your heart!
ReplyDelete